Of course, acne outbreaks can be among the most frustrating things in the world.
Depending on how you have been severely suffering from this condition, you can quickly end up dreading to go out to see your friends, especially on special occasions. What’s more annoying is that it does not only lead to low self-confidence and embarrassment, but it can actually become very painful at times.
But do you know that the way you are washing your face, as well as the kinds of product that you are using, can be the main difference between an acne breakout and clearer skin? If the product you are using is making your skin too dry, then this will only lead to skin irritation that will allow the bacteria to develop into pimples. If you have oily skin on the other hand, then the oil will only clog your pores and will cause whiteheads, blackheads and other types of acne.
However, there are a lot of acne soaps available in the market? Which is one is the most efficient? Which one is the best soap for acne? Well, I’ve listed down below six soaps that proven to reduce acne and clear your skin up.
Tips On How To Choose The Best Soap for Your Acne-Prone Skin
1. Look for a soap that will match your skin type
To control your acne breakouts, it is highly recommended that you invest in a soap which is tough enough to get rid of dirt and of course, keep the skin clean. But this should not be any other soap, this should match your skin type, whether you are dry, oily or combination of both.
This is very important so you can address your skin issues. For instance, if you have dry skin type, you might think foaming soaps sound like a great choice, they are just what you exactly don’t need to your dry and acne-prone skin. This is because the foamy lathers and the big bubbles it makes can only damage your sensitive skin type. They will only stick to your skin’s surface and will be difficult to wash off, it will only make your skin even drier and even tighten the skin surrounding them.
An excellent soap to fight acne should be those that make creamy lather and has very little amount of bubbles that will wash off the skin easily and of course, leaving it clean and fresh.
2. Take a look at the added ingredients.
You need to make sure that your choice of acne soap contains ingredients that will help you fight acne as well as improve your skin’s appearance. The ingredients you should look for are sodium sulfacetamide, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid which are all helpful in clearing up your skin.
For instance, salicylic acid is known for effectively blocking the pores and minimizing redness and swelling while benzoyl peroxide can kill bacteria and exfoliate the skin. Sodium sulfacetamide, on the other hand, can obstruct the development of bacteria.
3. Hydrate your skin
To make sure your skin is well hydrated, search for emollients on your acne soap, these are glycerin, lanolin or petrolatum; these ingredients will help your skin retain its moisture.
Best Soap For Acne
Acne Control Glycerin Body & Face Bar by Dial
This soap features concentrated treatment of salicylic acid and has been clinically recognized to deliver results as early as three days. This is also a good product that effectively addresses those stubborn, pesky acne on your back and chest.
What I like about this product is that in addition to its antibacterial property, this soap can moisturize your skin too, thanks to its glycerin content. I also love how this soap lathers up nicely and how pleasing its scent is. In fact, it can give you long-lasting deodorant protection; you will smell fresh all day long. However, there are also some users who find its scent to be a little overpowering so I guess it really depends on your preference.
- Contains salicylic acid that can help you treat acne
- Helps you control breakouts
- It won’t dry out your skin
- There are users who complain about the soap leaving a waxy film on their skin
- There are also users who complain that the soap won’t last you long since it is a bit smaller compared to average soaps.
Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar by Cetaphil
Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar has been known for its powerful antibacterial as well as moisturizing properties. It has already helped a number of its users prevent breakouts at the same time sooth their acne-prone skin.
This cleansing bar actually has a formula that is non-soap so it is mild enough for your skin, but strong enough to get rid of bacteria that’s causing acne since it contains 0.3% Triclosan. This very low concentration of Triclosan will block the bacteria from utilizing the fatty acids, so it will now be impossible for the bacteria to live on.
In addition to this soap’s antibacterial property, it can also help you get rid of excess oil and sweat but the good news is, it won’t leave your skin dry or irritated at all. This soap is also not heavily scented; so if you have a sensitive skin type, I suggest you give this product a try. In fact, users who are suffering from eczema and rosacea and even those with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) as well as misbalanced hormones enjoy using this soap.
However, there are some who refuse or have some doubts about using this soap due to its Triclosan content. According to some research, Triclosan is harmful to human’s immune system as well as lead to bacterial resistance. But you should take note that this soap only has a very low concentration of this chemical.
- Works efficiently in killing acne-causing bacteria
- Can help you control breakouts
- One of the products recommended for people with eczema and rosacea.
- This will not leave your skin irritated or dry
- Doesn’t come with overpowering smell
- There are users who are worried about its Triclosan content since it has been linked to some health issues
The Healing Tree Bamboo Charcoal Soap
This soap derived from bamboo charcoal has been specifically formulated to get rid of the excess dead skin and oil as well as to draw out the toxins that will only clog the pores. It has been created using only natural ingredients, actually, this product contains only 4 ingredients and these are bamboo charcoal, water, vegetable oil, and glycerin. The brand also claims that this soap is cruelty-free as well as hypoallergenic.
Anyway, I was impressed by how this soap can help you clear out your troubled skin within just one month. It also does not contain any fragrances or fillers, so that’s definitely a plus. Users of this soap also can’t stop talking on how happy they are when the soap did not leave any greasy feeling at all after washing.
However, take note that this soap rinses in color black and it has the tendency to leave a stain in tubs which can be annoying. So a lot of users also report that they simply hate the mess they need to clear after washing their face with this soap.
- Works efficiently in unclogging the pores to get rid of the dead skin cells and toxins
- Will control and even prevent breakouts
- Can clear out acne within a month.
- It removes excess oil but it won’t dry out your skin
- Because of its bamboo charcoal content, the soap can be a little messy to use, leaving stains on white tiles and tubs
- There are users who complain that its smell is not so pleasant
Sulfur Soap – Premium 10% Sulfur Advanced Wash by Braunfels Labs
What’s great about this sulfur soap is that it contains ingredients that are plant-based and comes with the vegan formulation. It is also fragrance-free, making it ideal for anyone with acne-prone skin. I was so impressed by how well the product lathers and it can quickly dry out pimples. You will immediately feel your skin has tightened after washing, but there is nothing to worry about this unless you will start to develop severe itching, burning sensation as well as intense redness.
If this is the first time you have ever used sulfur soap, I recommend that you begin at least once daily, preferably during the night. Take note also that this soap has a drying effect, so if you have dry skin type, I’m afraid this product will make things worse for you.
- Comes with a vegan formulation
- It does not contain parabens and artificial fragrances
- It can effectively prevent acne because of its powerful drying effect
- Not recommended for people with sensitive or dry skin
- Since it does not contain artificial fragrances, you can really smell the unpleasant scent of sulfur
Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin
Grisi Bio Sulfur Soap with Lanolin is another product which features sulfur as its key ingredient. It has been formulated to deal with both acne and pore concerns. As a result, you will get to see your acne drying up within just a matter of days using this product. The brand even claims that you will begin witnessing significant changes as early as eight weeks of use, though this will highly depend on the severity of your acne breakout. Some users even reported that it helps them heal their cyst-like acne and it also works wonders against acne breakouts on chest and back.
But despite its great drying effect, the soap will not irritate the skin, it won’t even cause any redness. In addition to sulfur, this soap also contains lanolin to balance the drying effect of the soap. However, just like the Sulfur Soap by Braunfels Labs, you can also expect that it would smell a bit and this can be unpleasant depending on your tolerance. So if you are someone who is highly sensitive to smell, this can be a great deal breaker.
Other users also find the lanolin content to be not moisturizing enough. There are still complains from users that their skin becomes drier after using the soap. Overall, this product can keep your skin healthy, thanks to its antiseptic, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- This can efficiently dry out your pimples in a matter of days.
- Has a strong drying effect
- It will not cause any irritation or redness
- Because of its extreme drying effect, the soap is not recommended to people with dry skin type
- There are users ho complain about the scent of the soap.
So there you have it! I hope this list will help you find the best soap that will soothe and calm those annoying acne! Take note that not all skin types are the same, so if you’ve bought one of these soaps and want to test it in your skin, keep an eye on these following signs after application:
- If you notice flaking or scaling on your skin after using the soap, it could possibly be due to the soap’s harsh ingredients such as alcohol which may have aggravated your existing case of acne.
- There should be no irritation or redness on your skin, this could be a signal that you are using a wrong soap. You should also not feel any tightness after using the soap unless it was said that you should do so.
- If you see small bumps developing as well as redness or hives after using the soap, stop using the soap immediately, these could be signs that you had an allergic reaction to one of its ingredients.
Anyway, if you think there should be some more valuable brands that should be added to this list, please mention it in the comment section below so I can check it out; I might consider adding it to the list!
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends!